Tuesday, March 8, 2011

THE TEABERRY STRANGLER BY LAURA CHILDS





While roaming around Saturday at Target I discovered a couple new mystery novels that looked very interesting to me. I knew they'd be on the fluffier end of the mystery genre, but it suited me for the light reading I was looking for. The first of the books was The Teaberry Strangler by Laura Childs. It's actually #11 in the A Tea Shop Mystery series. Unfortunately Target did not have any other book in the series in stock so I'll be purchasing them through other venues. It is a new release so Target had a 25% off sticker on the book making it around $5.99 for the paperback version (plus tax).

The mystery solving tea shop owner is named Theodosia. Its about a street of shop owners in Charleston and the activities surrounding the shop district and in particular the Indigo Tea Shop. Being the foodie that I am, I loved the description of the teas the shop carried along with the menus that they served both at the shop and at catered events. At the end of the book were several pages of yummy looking recipes and a variety of tea party themes. There was an amazing amount of information about teas scattered throughout the book that I enjoyed and if you're not a tea drinker this might get a bit boring. Luara Childs definately did her homework on this series. As for the mystery aspect, it was definitely enjoyable to follow. I liked the fact that I didn't know until the very end who had done it. Nothing is worse to me then knowing immediately who did it and knowing it through the entire book. There were a lot of characters, which might be to much for many to follow, but I was able to follow all the charecters easily enough.


If you're looking for a sit on the edge of the seat, scare yourself type of book this isn't it. This is a light refreshing book that might have a couple tingle-y passages of buildup (depending on your fright level) but nothing that would keep you from sleeping after reading it. I guess I could describe it as being similar to some of Nora Roberts series, except without the romance - at least in this book. This is a perfect book to kick back on a snowy or rainy day and enjoy along with several cups of tea and a scone or two or possibly a good book to take to the beach once this snow leaves and summer finally gets here. Happy reading :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment