Tuesday, June 29, 2010

ONE HAS TO LOVE PRESSURE COOKERS

A pressure cooker is a cook's best friend. Sunday I totally forgot to take the roast out of the freezer to put into the crockpot on Monday. I realized my mistake Monday morning. To the rescue - my trusty pressure cooker - able to do a frozen roast in 45 minutes to perfect tenderness. Its one of the awesome things about pressure cookers is that you can put a slab of frozen meat in and it will be cooked and tender in under and hour.

I added a quartered onion and carrots along with a jar of au ju gravy, a packet of au ju gravy mix (didn't have brown gravy), 2 cups of water, 1/3 cup of Italian dressing (or you could use a packet of dry), and a can of cream of mushroom soup to the roast. I would have typically have added mushrooms to the roast also but Matt doesn't like mushrooms so I'm preparing them less and I didn't have any in the house anyway. The gravy mix on top of the roast and the side of mashed potatoes that Matt whipped up to perfection were delicious after I got home from yoga last night.

For those that fear pressure cookers because of stories they've heard I can assure you the new ones have tons of safety features built in and I maintain are a cook's best friend. The new digital pressure cookers are fool proof and absolutely safe. There are several good yahoo groups for recipes. My first pressure cooker was a stovetop version that I still use. My digital lasted about a year and then died - buy a known brand would be my word of caution when getting a digital. I really miss my digital as I could set it to start later or turn to warm when finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment