Monday, March 5, 2012

CHICKEN WITH THIS AND THAT

 
I love it when I can pull a meal together with random items found in my freezer or pantry.  Last night I pulled out some chicken leg quarters (bought for 25c per pound!) to thaw in the fridge.  When I got home I'd originally considered doing orange chicken but discovered when I went to grab some orange juice from the freezer that I didn't have any.  What I did notice was a bag of white sparkling wine and a bag of tomato juice.  Hmmmm - a play on chicken cacciatore came to mind.  I dumped the chicken into my clay baker, tossed in a bag of frozen broccoli, and dumped both bags of frozen liquids in.  I seasoned with salt, pepper, seasoned salt, and dried rosemary.  I flipped the chicken over about half way through and mixed up the tomato juice and wine so it blended better and then drizzled over the chicken before putting it back into the oven.  I served it up with some mashed potatoes and the last two dinner rolls I found in the back of the freezer.  The whole meal probably cost me less then $3 for everything.  There was no cost to the wine since I froze the last of a bottle that wasn't going to be finished off.  The tomato juice was leftover from a chili making so no cost there either.  I just have to remember to put these items in bags and freeze them instead of forgetting to save them.  The one thing I would recommend would be freezing in ice cube trays instead of baggies if you can and then putting into baggies so you customize the amounts easier.





No comments:

Post a Comment