Monday, January 17, 2011

HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP

I know laundry soap is abundant in the grocery stores, but there are so many chemicals and things we don't want in them. Between my skin sensitivities and my scent allergies it makes it hard to find a detergent I can tolerate not to mention the companies constantly changing the formulas to make them "new and improved". Making your own laundry soap is amazingly simple and best of all you get to control the ingredients.

Tammy's Laundry Soap Powder

1 bar of Dr. Bonner's soap (I like the peppermint) (or any bar of castile soap)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda
1 cup Baking Soda
1 cup Oxyclean powder (Kroger's now has a knock off of this that's 1/2 price)

Grate the bar of soap and then add everything together in a food processor. Turn the food processor on and let it whirl for probably 3 to 5 minutes. This makes the soap easier to dissolve even in cold water. Store this in an airtight container. Use 1 heaping coffee scoop (about 1 tbsp) per load. You can add essential oils to this if you'd like but the scents don't make it through the washer and dryer so I don't waste my money putting them in. The peppermint soap is a wonderful scent just the way it is. Dr. Bonner's also has lavender and baby scent which would be wonderful scents but my guys might protest.

I use this recipe in my front loader with no issues and I also use cold water for almost all loads and it dissolves fine with no residue. Matt is a mechanic/machinist and comes home with his clothes saturated with solvents and cleaners and this formula gets the solvent smells out of his tshirts with no problem. He actually prefers the homemade to store bought. The clothes come out smelling fresh and clean without any scent.

Instead of dryer sheets or fabric softener, try adding 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle instead. This especially makes for fluffier towels and flannel sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment