Wednesday, February 9, 2011


No, I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth. We've just been super busy so I haven't had time to post. We did a major bathroom project a couple weeks ago. The bathtub surround cracked and was leaking water into the wall behind it so Matt had to rip the entire enclosure out. Might sound easy if he'd been able to just replace the enclosure but not with this house. The previous owner had taken out the original insulation and put some blown in type, but didn't fill the wall with it so the wall was letting in a LOT of cold air. He also had used one piece of greenboard (water resistant) but pieced it with regular drywall (NOT water resistant) so Matt had to rip all that out and put new greenboard in. There were several of fixes that went into it and he had to cut out the surround to fit a window and redo the window area. Matt, being the super awesome fixer upper that he is, was able to do the entire project in one weekend. Impressive isn't it! My job was to keep him fed, which he said I did a fine job of doing.

Last weekend we went to the Macomb County ReStore. Got caught in nasty blizzard conditions that the forecaster forgot to warn us about. We made it home safely though. For those that have never heard of ReStore, they are operated by Habitat For Humanity. People, especially builders and contractors, donate used and sometimes new items for them to sell. I bought several items including a couch, mattress set, and dryer when I first moved into my trailer after my divorce at the store for extremely reasonable prices. This is the first time I'd been to their new store, which is huge compared to the last one, but they've also raised their prices. Nonetheless, we found the perfect cabinet there for the laundry room for only $50. It's nearly a perfect match for our kitchen cabinets so that worked out great also. Matt and the boy hung the cabinet Monday night. My plans for this weekend include getting that cabinet filled with items. Being the smart woman I am, I had them hang it low enough that I could get quart jars on top of it for storage. Last weekend I also did my son's taxes and got my mostly done.

I've also been working on multiple dishcloths for swaps I signed up for. I received my first swap package on Saturday and it was so exciting to open it and see what I received which included two crocheted dishcloths, a pair of Valentine socks, a rose hair clip, a couple pins and a package of chocolate candy covered sunflower seeds (to die for). The swaps can be a lot of work but are fun too. I sent my swap partner a knitted dishcloth, a crocheted dish scrubbie, a little note pad, and some homemade chocolate peanut butter hearts (taste just like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups). Sorry, forgot to take a picture.

This past weekend I finally got the fabric ironed and started cutting out the baby quilt I've been planning to make for ages. I made a huge mistake and bought a premade package of fabric because the fabrics were so cute and I couldn't find them individually. The company shorted me on two different fabrics causing me to have to alter the size of the quilt and make it smaller and to also have to go out and buy another fabric. They simply cut two of the pieces too small and there was no way to get the needed fabric cut the required size. Hopefully tonight I can break out the sewing machine and get it pieced together. I'm on a time crunch, she's being baptised this Sunday. I mixed it up in my head and thought I had another week. Thankfully its baby size!

No comments:

Post a Comment