Wednesday, June 22, 2011

CROCKPOT APPLE PIE

About two weeks ago I was checking out my Facebook page when I noticed the Fix-It and Forget-It blog page had a Crockpot Apple Pie recipe posted.  As I had been thinking earlier in the day that apple pie sounded good this was perfect timing for the recipe to pop up, not to mention the 92' temps we were having.  I know if I didn't have to turn an oven on to bake we would be having a lot more apple pies in our home.

 I modified the original recipe, but if you'd like their recipe just go to http://fix-itandforget-it.com/blog/2011/06/13/apple-carmel-pie/#more-1723.  They also posted a tutorial on how to put the pie crust into the crockpot.  I used a smaller crockpot, I think it's a 1.5 quart, then they did so my portions are different.  I also didn't have any carmels in the house so I made a plain apple pie.  This has been a HUGE hit with Matt and my son and I've already had it requested twice since I made it.  It's great to put into the crockpot when I get home and serve up after supper.  The next time I make this I plan on trying it with sliced apples instead of apple pie filling. 

CROCKPOT APPLE PIE

1 refridgerator pie crust (Pilsbury)
1 can of apple pie filling
cinnamon

Lay out the pie crust on a board.  Cut about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottom of the crust off (keep).  Now slice the larger piece in half.  Place the pieces so that approximately 1-1/2" to 2" of the crust is going up the side of the crockpot.  Use your finger to splice the sections together so the entire bottom is covered.  Pour in apple pie filling.  Sprinkle cinnamon over the top to taste.  Take the small piece of pie crust and cut it into 1/2" lengths.  Use these strips to make a lattice style crust on top of the pie filling.  Cook on high for approximately 3 hours.  Serve with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream.  The picture below is prior to cooking it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment